Google

Monday 6 October 2008

A Rower's Revenge

Finally, after about 50 weeks of steady training, I had my revenge yesterday. It was indeed a dish served cold, with lashings of rain and mud. White kit would not have been my first choice, but then I'm raising money for Prostate UK, not a rehab unit for super models.

I'm pleased to say that the rain and local flooding did not prevent me beating my 2005 time - run on a cool dry day - by about 10 minutes, coming in 49th in 1:42:50.28. Proving not only that you can get younger, but also that a 2007 Bianchi road-racer with clip-in shoes is a much faster mode of transport than a 1997 Trek hybrid, even with mud guards and pannier racks removed.

And I must add that it was a special pleasure to repair (quite literally) to the warmth and hospitality of the George and Dragon with my father, on his much anticipated visit from Oz, for an excellent steak and ale pie and about 7 years worth of aimless conversation.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails